Monday, November 23, 2009

Hypertonic Saline Is Not My Friend apparently....

I'm feeling fine, running about a mile a day, and still am having chest tightness. To be honest, It's really getting on my nerves now. I've never had to be on Prednisone so many times in one year in my entire life. I think this is episode # 3 or 4. I stopped running outside, for fear that with the Fall weather I was breathing in molds, etc. Doesn't seem to be the case however. I've racked my brain today and I think I may have found it! The ONLY thing I've done different this year is start the Hypertonic Saline. Rewind...I was on it a few years ago but couldn't tolerate for forgotten reasons and now I think I remember why. The HTS really can exacerbate Asthmatic symptoms. Well Hello McFly, that's me! This has to be the reason I stopped it a few years back.

I started back on the HTS when I found out I was pregnant in April of this year. We had to do a ton of medicine rearranging because of the pregnancy. One of them was to stop TOBI and start HTS twice a day. I was on it for about a month, then boom, the chest tightness and Asthma flare up hits me. Granted I do whatever I have to do, no matter what. However I think I may have figured out what the problem is. After the miscarriage in May I stayed on the HTS only to have an Asthma exacerbation in June. We stopped it for a month or so, went back on for a month, then you guessed it, attack of the Asthma. Why haven't we ever put these pieces together before?

So now we're doing another tapering dose of Prednisone, and no more HTS. Also adding in Albuterol nebs to the mix to clear out this inflammation!

*Fingers crossed that I've finally figured out this mystery!*

2 comments:

Misha said...

I had to stop HS while I was pregnant because my asthma was crazy while I was on it. The last time I took it I made it not as strong and that was the only way I could "sorta" handle it. It's great to get the mucus out but the tightness is just too much for me.

Unknown said...

I hope that's it! I can't run after HTS for about an hour because of the tightness it causes.

Ronnie