Friday, February 25, 2011

Train Wreck, me.

There has been so much going on for a bit now, that I've just had zero energy or desire to blog. It all started a couple of weeks ago, Feb. 10th to be exact. I was driving home from dinner with a friend when I literally felt this illness hit me. Sudden onset of chills and shaking to the point of not warming up. I knew I was in trouble.

In the middle of that night, I woke up at 3am with a fever of 101. I RARELY get fevers, so again I knew something was up and I wasn't liking it. I spent the next 2 days in bed, just praying and hoping I would be sick on my birthday (the 12th).

As it turned out by Friday I felt pretty darn good. Prayers answered and I was thrilled! So we spent my birthday very low key, and ended up going to the movies and bowling. By the time that evening hit, both Scott and I felt sick as dogs....again. And the next day, it just progressed even worse.

Monday came, and I knew I had to make the dreadful call to Hopkins because this was not getting better, but getting worse, and scary. My FEV1 took a sudden hit which scared me and hasn't ever happened before. I made the call and they wanted me in immediately as a direct admission. I knew it was the right thing to do, but still I hated it.

By the time we got to the hospital I was so short of breath, that It burned for me to even walk a few steps. We had to walk a long way to get to where we needed to go, and not to mention the 2 escalators were broken. Awesome. When I coughed, my chest hurt so bad that it felt as if chards of glass were coming up. I can't think of any other way to describe it.

I just layed there and cried. What the heck is going on with me!? The Nurse came in and did all the paperwork, so many vials of blood drawn, blood cultures, swabs, you name it, I was probed. Later that night I was told that I tested positive for Influlenza A. Wow, no joke, this flu is serious business.

So I was in Hopkins for 4 days, slowlyyyyyy feeling better, but barely. I was discharged home on Thursday. I thought things were getting better and then on Monday my PICC line started to really hurt, and my fevers came back yet again. Called Hopkins and was told to pack a bag again since I'd probably get re-admitted for a new PICC insertion. Blah!

Turns out I didn't need to get re-admitted. The Nurses set me up for an outpatient PICC the next morning. That turned into a huge nightmare. I should've spoken up because I just didn't feel confident in the resident at all. It's like I knew he wasn't going to do it. Sure enough I woke up after conscious sedation I had 4 holes in my left arm, and a new line in my neck. Good thing is, is that it works, but it sure is not comfortable. At this point, I'll take what I can get.

So here I am, thinking that I may actually start feeling better. My lungs are still the tightest they have ever been which I don't like. Good news is that apparently with the flu this is normal. They said this could take weeks before my lungs bounce back. Not the greatest news, but as long as they do I'll be happy.

Despite how awful things have been most of this month, I am still beyond grateful for the love and support so many people have shown. I've gotten so many sweet messages, texts, videos, care packages, calls, cards, flowers, and snacks! It's a wonderful thing to have such loving people in my life.

Hands down I give all the credit in the world to Scott for being a wonderful husband to me. He's had to juggle work, school, and me which has been so overwhelming. I couldn't ask for a better partner in my life and am thankful for all he does.

Thank you everyone who's been there sending well wishes. They sure are appreciated!!


Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,

I was wondering if things were ok since you had not posted in almost a month. I hope that you are feeling much better now. At the beginning of February I had a similar experience with getting sick. I first had my gallbladder removed since it was causing great pain. Then 5 days later I had a 102temperature. I called the CF center and they wanted to admit me. I started freaking out I have never been admitted for CF in my life going on 26 years. So I had blood and X ray done. They said I had bronchitis. So I went home with 4 antibiotics. Within a few days I started feeling better thank god! In the end I was off work for 2 weeks. (I think the wife was glad to send me back to work:)) Take it easy Jess and I am glad you are getting better!